Friday, December 28, 2007

Psalms 27:1

Psalms 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be
afraid?

Everybody knows this verse. Many memorize it. Why? It's a very simple, elementary idea, but let's dig in anyway.

First, imagine you are outside on a sunny day in July skipping around in a field with your dog, picking wildflowers. [insert happy music here]

Okay, snap out of it.

Now imagine you're in a dark cave. If you have ever been to the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky with all the lights turned off, imagine that. You cannot see your hand in front of your face. You might as well have your eyes closed. This is darkness.

Bringing you back into reality now: Would you need a flashlight on a sunny summer’s day? No. Would you need a flashlight in the Mammoth Caves with the lights turned off? If you want to get out of there alive and unharmed, yes.

So what? I hate to break it to you, but life is not like the first daydream you had. Life is more like the darkness of the Mammoth Caves. It has been this way since Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. This darkness is sin. Our lives are as dark as the caves you imagined a minute ago. We live in sin. You wouldn't need a light if there is no darkness, but at the same time, how could you live in darkness without a light? The LORD is my light.

He is our salvation. Again, if there's nothing to be saved from, why would you need salvation? If you are safe, why seek safety? Unfortunately, there is danger, and there is peril ever since sin entered into the world. Jesus said in John 3:19-21 "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by that truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." Ah-ha! It ties into the whole light and darkness thing too. Not only is the LORD our light but He is our salvation from darkness.

The LORD is my strength of my life. Here, "strength" really means "place or means of safety, protection, refuge, stronghold. refuge (of God)" God is protecting me. He's my safety, my refuge, and stronghold. Really now. Of whom shall I be afraid?

With God as my light, my salvation, and my refuge, I can tackle anything! Why, I could live in the Mammoth Caves. (Matthew 19:26, “With men this is impossible; but with God, all things are possible.”)

Let’s go!

No comments: